There are many instances in which overseas pupil have to speak approximately their intentions to take a look at for superior stages. Statements of motive written to accompany programs for college admission are the maximum apparent case, however the identical state of affairs comes up in interviews with recruiters, IELTS Speaking Tasks, and verbal interactions of a wide variety with the officials at the colleges you may be attending.
Unfortunately, it is the time many overseas college students say things that sound the least “English.” As a result, these unavoidable statements can often advise that your command of English is vulnerable. Even although all of the native English audio system who regularly hear overseas students make those statements have lengthy gotten used to hearing them spoken incorrectly, the error usually registers with them at some degree, however unconsciously.
To make the high-quality impact on university directors and IELTS examiners, use the proper language to talk approximately your degree and your academic sentences.
The following are the most not unusual errors:
“I’m going to examine a grasp’s degree.”
“I’m going to take a look at a grasp’s diploma.”
“I plan to research a grasp degree.”
Don’t make those unnecessary however commonplace errors. All this is important for you no longer to cause them to is to recognize clearly what the precise words are and mean.
– A “master’s diploma” is a noun. When written, it continually has an apostrophe, that is, “master’s degree,” not “masters diploma” or, worse, “master degree.”
– A master’s diploma isn’t, however, a field of take a look at. We do not examine a master’s degree, we have a look at a discipline wherein we earn (or, more colloquially, “get”) a maser’s diploma. Therefore, in English, we are saying that we plan “to earn a master’s diploma in advertising [or the name of some other field].”
– The diploma is what we get as a result of analyzing, not what we have a look at. So, while we communicate approximately analyzing, we commonly say, “I plan to look at economics [or some other field].” It’s not wrong to say, “I plan to research marketing,” but “I plan to examine advertising” is more everyday, idiomatic English.
– The certificates that confirms that we’ve efficiently finished a course of look at and earned an advanced degree (now not necessarily a master’s diploma) is called a “degree.” You can say, “I plan to earn a degree in advertising,” or, if you have completed the degree, “I even have a degree in economics.” But if you do, comprehend that a native English speaker will no longer always apprehend which graduate degree you have got earned.
– The most suitable verbs to use with “master’s diploma,” prior to receiving the degree, are “examine for,” “earn,” or “pursue.” So, you ought to say, “I plan to look at for a master’s degree in communications,” or “I plan to earn a grasp’s degree in advertising and marketing,” or “I plan to pursue a master’s diploma in engineering.”
This might also seem like a minor rely in terms of language. However, making the most not unusual errors can lead a college legit or IELTS examiner to suppose less of your 香港 mba English language abilties or, inside the worst case, your intelligence.
So, practice writing and saying those simple however important sentences correctly.
Incorrect: I’m going to look at a grasp degree.
Correct: I’m going to have a look at for a master’s diploma.
Incorrect: I will observe a master’s degree of marketing.
Correct: I will look at for a master’s diploma in advertising and marketing.
Incorrect: I will research a masters diploma in economics.
Correct: I plan to earn a master’s diploma in economics.